Thursday, December 12, 2013

6mm Fantasy, a bit of Khador, and other stuff

So, I'm trying my hand at some small stuff again.  Here are two stands (referred to as Warbands in my evolving set of fantasy rules), one of Wood Elves and the other of Beastkin.  Both are available from Microworld Games (http://www.microworldgames.com/).  They have good products and services. 


My eyesight at short range is just about shot, and I do use reading glasses.  Oh well, old age and all that stuff.  I painted the beasts first, and though I like the colors, I'm not too happy with the detail.  The wood elves came next, and though I think I managed a bit of better detailing, I'm not happy with the paintjob in general.  But they work, and at that small of a scale, quibbling over details is foolish.  I have five warbands of each done.

Please note that at this time I should be painting the three Khador 'Jacks that I got at an incredibly stupid cheap price (ebay is my friend at times)....I just can't get my mind right to sit down and suffer through that ordeal at this moment.

Here's what that progress looks like so far:



Not too bad so far, but I'm keeping it as simple as possible (like, four colors max, and no fancy, unrealistic but pretty highlighting and stuff, and no battle damage or weathering).  This is as far as I've gotten in the last three weeks, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get much more of it done before Yule.  Sigh, I'll give another  it a try next week.

As always, please accept my apologies at not being a very good photographer.  Sometimes I use my camera phone, other times I use my pocket camera.  All times the quality is hit and miss.

Finally, I have a few other projects I'm working on.  Two are my own rules for 6mm fantasy table top battles and 6mm sci-fi table top battles.  They will be easy, quick-play rules (similar to the old DBA rules), but be very competitive and very customizable.  I also have a starship combat game I'm working on, but I need to get the other two done first before I can work on that again, as I want all three to have a similar set of base rules mechanics.  Which we've been referring to around here as the "surge" system.  Eventually I will post all of these rules on this blog.

In addition, I have my set of house-rules for Basic Dungeons and Dragons finished (1983 Red Box by Frank Mentzer--generally agreed as the best edition of D&D).  I'll post those up sometime once I tidy them up and edit out the errors.  It keeps the same gameplay, all I did was add in some extras and changed some things to fit better for campaigns I run in the present and future.  Thanks to Katie Allison, Zach Riley, Jack Remsen, and Emily Schildmeier for helping with the play-testing of these house rules (and I'm sorta sorry about all of those giant spiders and tiny little creepy animated evil wooden dolls).

Oh, and just because:


Hot bridesmaids and handsome groomsmen complimenting the beautiful wife and her very, very, VERY lucky husband.  The wedding was great, and I can't remember being happier than I am now.


"Sometimes you've just got to smash the earth with a giant hammer."

*****

Yuletide begins on the 21st, so I'll officially be celebrating in my own heathen way starting then (which reminds me, I have to find some mead before I start).  Have a Festive Yule, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment